Thursday, November 8, 2012

30 Days, 30 Posts: Adoption...Our Journey, Why Not Adopt?


This week I will focus more on “Our Journey” and sharing more of our personal decisions.  


One of the hardest things to put into words is why we are adopting.  It’s sometimes hard to distinguish each of the many reasons that resulted in our decision, because they are so intermingled.

I believe my interest in adopting was first piqued many moons ago, while in high school, after reading a Newsweek  (I think!) about families adopting from China.  Since I had the privilege of starting my courtship with my husband around the same time as the article, we talked about adoption very early on.

When the time came to decide whether or not to pursue this, we basically flipped the question. Instead of “Why?” we asked “Why not?”.  

Why not adopt?

Here’s a bit of what we asked ourselves and our responses: 
1. It’s expensive...so is new car or delivering a baby by C-section.
2. It takes time and there is so much paperwork...what else am I going to do with my time, watch TV?
3. What if the child has a special need...can’t guarantee that with a pregnancy either.
4. It’s scary...yes it is, but being a parent is signing up for a lifetime of guilt and worry (right?!)

I really view our adoption as a partnership.  We are picking up where the birth parents could no longer carry on.  Even though we won’t know our child’s birth parents, we needed each other.  I do not view this as a rescue mission; we are no one’s personal savior.  We are just normal people who have some extra room in our family and will be matched with a child that needs a family.

Tomorrow I talk more about how we chose China, or rather how China chose us!


Don't miss a thing! Follow the entire 30 Days, 30 Posts: Adoption series.

No comments:

Post a Comment